Note: You will want to mute the music below prior to watching the videos.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I Made It Home

Ready for Chemo!



I actually started this blog last night after I got home, but I was just to tired to finish it. Ryan and I returned home last night around 7:00. I thought we made pretty good time since chemo didn't actually start until 1:00. I can't say it enough, Siteman Cancer Center is incredible. I believe that everyone who works there has been called there for a reason. Before my chemo treatment I met with Dr. Ellis. Did I mention that he is awesome? I was a little concerned because when I woke up yesterday morning, my breast appeared to be a flushed red color. This made me nervous because I had just had my drains out two days prior and wasn't sure if I might be developing an infection. Dr. Ellis took a look, but didn't seemed to be to concerned, but because he likes to play on the safer side of things, he prescribed me an antibiotic. Then, it was off to chemo. I was lucky enough to get a bed. I like the beds so much more than the chairs/recliners. Once I got back to Pod 5, that was my Pod for the day, I met the kindest nurses ever. Marilyn was my primary nurse and the words sweet, nice, and kind could not even come close to describing her! In no time at all I was hooked up to my port getting a strong dose of anti-nausea meds. Then, it was on to the real good drugs. The Adriamycin took only about 10 minutes to put in. Only 10 minutes and it's the one that takes my hair. Potent little booger! After the Adriamydin came the Cytoxin. That one took a little longer because it can give you ice cream headaches if your not careful. I didn't have a problem with it however, Praise God.

I noticed when I walked into Pod 5 that there was a man on the other side of the room diagonal to me. He was in is late fifties, maybe early sixties. He was dressed nicely and his wife was right there with him. As Ryan and were leaving, he was still there with his wife. We had been talking to those around us about how we were from Springfield and it was quite a drive but that we didn't care because we knew we were getting the best medical care possible. As Ryan and I left Pod 5 and were walking out of the treatment center, the wife of this man approached us. She said she had overheard us talking about driving back and forth to and from Springfield for the next 16 weeks. She said that her husband has always been a diabetic and was just recently diagnosed with congenital heart failure and lymphoma. She then explained that she and her husband live in Chesterfield and have a home with 3 extra large bedrooms that we could come and stay in at anytime. She has some family in Nixa and Ozark so she was familiar with the drive and the expense. All I could do was cry. She gave us her name and number and I'm not so sure that Ryan and I won't take her up on her offer one of these times. God put that woman right in our path, on our way out, in the middle of a conversation Ryan and I were having about wishing we had a place to go back to rather than getting in the car and driving 3 1/2 hours home. Blessed to Be a Blessing! Thank you Charlotte for your kindness and showing God's love to us.

The ride home wasn't to bad. I did have Ryan pull over once so that I could get some nausea meds. They helped and at this point, I am staying on them whether I feel like I need them our not! I have some pictures of my first chemo treatment that I am going to post for all of you at the end of this blog. But first, some praise reports and more prayer request:

Praise:

1. I have yet to feel that nauseous. I am very sleepy, but sleep can be handled easily.

2. The bowels are working! This is a serious praise!

3. Ryan and I made it home safely.

4. The presence of the Lord was with us yesterday leading us through every step.

Prayer Request:

1. That the next few days I would get well rested and slowly regain the energy I need to function as normal as possible.

2. That God would bless us financially. We have applied for assistance, but it is a waiting process and seems to be just little bits here and there. Although well-worth it, the expense of traveling to and from St. Louis twice a month has added a bit more stress to our already stressful financial situation.

3. That God would give Ryan the strength and energy to take care of his wife, Charley, and the business and that we would all rely heavily on the word of God in the coming months.

4. Finally, that God would continue to allow us to be a blessing to those around us. God's purpose for my life is greater than anything I could ever imagine at this point, but I continue to feel the push and the shove to get out there and spread His word. I can't wait to see what He has in store for me, my family, and all those I come in contact with.

Praise you Lord for your answered prayers and blessings. Be with all those who received chemotherapy yesterday, from the people I met in Pod 5 to my new friend Mary in New York. God protect these people and their families through this difficult time.

My Pre-Chemo Meal: Oatmeal with Walnuts from Panera


The Parkway Hotel - Home away from home


Siteman Cancer Center - My second Home away from Home


Ryan supporting his wife, as always!


I can't believe that this is actually happening!


This was my nurse Marilyn. She is a wonderful woman.


I was freezing. It's not as bad as it looks!


Marilyn is teaching Ryan how to give me my neulasta shot at home. Scary!


I'm glad he got to practice. Hope he does that well on me!

2 comments:

kristenfeola said...

All I can say is "Praise the Lord" because He has his hand all over you and your family during this process. He is getting the glory through all of this and your experiences are touching numbers of people. I look forward to seeing you tomorrow!

Hilary said...

Gosh it is good to see you photos. I hope you are still doing well. Kev and I must say that we love your "chemo" shirt. I am also so thankful for you new friend Charlotte and you nurse Marilyn. We want nothing but the best for you so I am glad that the Lord is providing. I have to admit that that breakfast you ate looked terrible. Seriously, is it good? Well, we are rooting for you. We miss you and love you, HIL