Note: You will want to mute the music below prior to watching the videos.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

What A Long Day!

Ryan and I were finally home last night around 8:30. Charley's Nana and Grandpa (my parents) were in charge of her all day. I'm pretty sure they were as tired as I was once we got home. Thanks Mom and Dad for taking such great care of Charley yesterday! Well, after my quick update yesterday afternoon (I'm still not over that procedure) I waited, and waited, and waited. While I was waiting, my best friend Hilary and her son Zachary came by to visit. She had gotten me some special dental toothpaste and other dental items to use during chemotherapy. Apparently the chemo can do some pretty yucky things to your mouth. Yippee! Just add it to the already long list of chemo side affects. Did you know there is actually something called Chemo Brain? This means that the chemo can somewhat affect your memory and make you feel disorganized and forgetful. I think Ryan is actually hoping I develop a little bit of this so called "Chemo Brain." Ha! Anyway, back to Hilary. For those of you who know her, you know she is an incredible person and would do anything for anyone. I feel so blessed to have such an awesome best friend. If you haven't checked the blog for awhile, she did a posting a few nights ago called Meals on Wheels. Scroll down and check it out and if your interested and be sure to email her. By the time this whole process is over, she is going to need meals provided for her family just to give her some much needed rest. You are the best Hilary and I love you to death!!

OK, back to yesterday. Around 1:30 I was taken back down to the torture chamber, also known as Nuclear Medicine. I am happy to report that this procedure was painless, just a little nerve-racking. The lowered a machine almost down to my forehead where I had to lay very still while a camera took pictures of my breast. This scan helps to give the doctor an idea of where the nodes are located so he can remove them more easily. The entire procedure only took about 20 minutes. Then, it was back up to my room where I dozed until they came and got me for surgery. The best part about yesterday was being put to sleep. I hate to say it, but I loved the feeling of just floating off to a "happy place." Where that was, I don't remember, but I'm pretty sure my "happy place" was anywhere but the operating room. Prior to that, I met with an anesthesiologist who attempted to get an IV started....twice. This is exactly why I had the port put in. I have horrible veins and it always takes more than one try to get an IV in. Once the IV was in place, it was smooth sailing. I spoke with Dr. Cavagnol briefly and then it was sleepy time. When I woke up, I was back in my room (after an hour and half of surgery and an hour in recovery) and Ryan was using his outdoor voice to stir me awake. I do not like his outdoor voice. It was very difficult for me to keep my eyes open and stay awake after having been in such a deep sleep. I did overhear the nurse saying that I wouldn't be able to go home until I woke up, so Ryan and I developed a secret code. If the nurse was coming into my room, he would cough and I would open my eyes. That seemed to work because I was going home in no time.

Ryan spoke with Dr. Cavagnol briefly after surgery and he told Ryan that they removed two lymph nodes from the right breast. He said that he didn't see anything unusual but that the nodes has been slightly swollen. However, Dr. Cavagnol didn't seem to think to much of it. He said they could have been swollen just due to the trauma my right breast has already been through. We are meeting with him on Friday afternoon and we should know the results. Please continue to pray that God would take whatever cancer they may have had. The port for my chemo is actually located on the left side just below the collarbone. I do have quite the incision and right now it looks pretty nasty. I am sore, but not has bad as what I expected. I was unable to lay on either side last night, and being a side sleeper, made sleeping on my back the entire night slightly unpleasant. The worse part today is that my right arm and hand have a little bit of a numb feeling. I'm not sure what that's about, but I am going to call the doctor later today to make sure it's not something to worry about.

Now that yesterday is over, I feel that I am all ready and prepped to begin my chemo treatments. Ryan and I have chemotherapy school today (yes, they actually make you go to school before treatment) and I should know when my treatments will start before leaving. I'll keep you all posted and thanks for the continued prayers.

On one more note....The night before last, Ryan and I were reading a devotion titled, There Will be Storms in Life. It is from the book Men Under Construction by Bob Barnes. He describes five principles that can help us when we encounter those storms that seem to knock our legs out from under us. They are:

1. God has a purpose for our lives.
2. God is for you.
3. We have God's presence.
4. We have the peace of God.
5. We have God's power.

He goes onto to say that when storms do occur, we shouldn't look down, or back, but rather upward toward the heavens, calling out to God for a new vision and a purpose for this event. I know that God has given this storm to me for a greater purpose and I am seeing it unravel everyday.

2 comments:

Rachel Peacock-Young said...

Step One: So glad that is over.
Step Two: Enjoy the rest of your week...rest up!

Hilary said...

Thanks for the Shout Out! I have not done anything that you would not have done for me. One of these days I will need you and I know that you will be there. Love you HIL